Your lifestyle can make a difference
Even small changes in your lifestyle can make a big difference in limiting the recurrence of hemorrhoids:2,3
- Increase your fibre intake. Fruits, vegetables, whole-grain breads and fibre-rich cereals are good sources of fibre. By including more fibre in your diet, stools will be softer, diminishing the discomfort of bowel movements. This may also help you avoid constipation.
- If constipation is a problem, use a gentle laxative.
- Get plenty of exercise. Exercise aids digestion and helps in achieving regular bowel movements. Walking and yoga are good ways to keep yourself regular.
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water and fruit juices. Try to avoid coffee and alcohol which can dehydrate you and lead to constipation.
- Go to the toilet whenever you feel the need.
- Avoid straining during bowel movements.
- Avoid straining... on the toilet. Sitting on the toilet longer than necessary may lead to the development of hemorrhoids.
To relieve the pain and irritation of hemorrhoids:
- Practice proper hygiene to avoid irritation. Use TUCKS® Personal Cleansing Pads (from the makers of ANUSOL®) to cleanse the area.
- Take warm baths
- Use a sitz bath , available from a medical supply store, with warm water and Epsom salts
- Apply cold compresses
- Use medications, such as ANUSOL® or ANUSOL® Plus hemorrhoid ointments for external or internal hemorrhoids, and suppositories for internal hemorrhoids